Thursday, June 07, 2012

Trendy Thursday: Head-to-Toe Print

For the first Trendy Thursday we decided we would go all out and break all the rules with something that people have a huge aversion to. It just so happens, that thing is one of the major trends of S/S 2012. It’s been seen on the runways of designers like D&G, Erdem, Alexander Wang and more. Trendy Thursday this week is all about head-to-toe print.

Now, let me just be very clear on something right from the start: this is a very challenging trend for me because I don’t wear a lot of pattern. I’d pick a bold solid colour over a houndstooth or plaid. I have a few leopard print items, a few graphic patterns, but I think I can count the number of patterned items I own on one hand. Riley, on the other hand, is much more savvy when it comes to patterns. But I picked this trend to challenge myself and, let me tell you, challenge me it did.

I’m very rule-oriented when it comes to fashion, I can break them from time to time, but I like my clothing to match perfectly. With pattern, unless you have two matching things from the same store, this just doesn’t happen. So, like probably some of you who are reading this, head-to-toe pattern just seems too outrageous and too -- how do I put this lightly? Cluttered.

So while I slaved over the following runway inspired outfits, I came up with a few rules (some work for all three looks, others are more specific) that might help you at least attempt this trend!

Monochromatic/Repetition - Clements Ribeiro
Photos: Vladimir Potop

The Clements Ribeiro runway was pattern-central. He had other features such as floral (which I'll cover later on) but this look really stood out to me. Most patterns this season, worn in this way, are bright, or much more graphic in nature. But these few looks definitely were different than the rest. I also thought it would be an easy way to start as matching black and white is much easier than all those bright colours and patterns. Here's a toned down outfit that was inspired by these looks: 
Skirt: Forever21 / Shirt: ROMWE / Belt: American Apparel / Shoes: Aldo / Sunglasses: ASOS
Laptop Sleeve: TopShop / Bracelet: Endless

First of all, I know what you're thinking: This has colour in it! Yes, I know! I couldn't resist! I loved the little touch of yellow to make it look a little more retro and a little more bright for spring. But, for the most part it's all black and white. Secondly, I love this outfit. I think it's perfect for the office if you work in one, or if you're having a dinner out with your family. I loved this houndstooth skirt the second I saw it, and the polka-dots just makes the outfit that much more adorable. The trick I learned when mixing these repeating or monochrome prints is size. The houndstooth skirt is evenly black and white, so for the top, I picked a pattern that had more white than it did black, with a bigger but less even pattern. It causes the houndstooth to appear slightly darker, more neutral, in comparison.

Baroque/Bright Colours - D&G
Photos: Getty

D&G's runway was literally filled with this baroque pattern. To me it's Italian royalty meets the 1960's. It's such a drastic difference from the other two, so I knew I had to feature it for all of you who like a challenge. I have to say, I love the baroque pattern with the interesting details, but it is a hard look to make work!
Shorts: H&M / Shirt: ASOS / Sandals: Lulu's / Satchel: NastyGal / Watch: ModCloth
Pink Bracelet: ASOS / Black & Gold Cuff: Endless / Sunglasses: Aldo

Most people I've seen wearing pieces of bright coloured baroque (I've also heard it called barocco) print have matched it with a simple black or white piece to really balance it. I love these shorts, and generally, I would pair them with a black t-shirt or a white blouse. But that isn't the point of today's post! This was, by far, the hardest outfit I think I've ever had to put together. But it turned out alright! It's got kind of a young, beachy feel to it. Instead of carrying the baroque pattern to the top, I mixed in a bit of tribal inspiration and it surprisingly matches better than anything else I could find! This one was hard to find a rule for, or a trick, because I had such a hard time with it. But I think the main thing is don't be afraid to try it, and if you're going to do it, go big or go home. I found these baroque shorts didn't look as good with small, condensed  patterns, so you might as well fight fire with fire, right?

Floral - Sportmax
Photos: Fashionising.com

Oh, floral. People have such a love-hate relationship with you. Some people think it makes you look childish, other people swear by it. But Sportmax had a great balance of floral prints, and the pieces are perfectly tailored for business-wear, which is a place most people don't wear florals. I loved the range of colour too, from soft pastels, all the way to bright pinks and purples.
Pants: TopShop / Shirt: H&M / Shoes: Call it Spring / Purse: TopShop / Sunglasses: ASOS / Ring: ASOS

This is my favourite outfit out of the three, by far. I wish it was in my closet right now! The printed shirt, from H&M, I've seen tons of people wearing. I actually have it in the t-shirt version and it's great. It's a huge print with a lot of black, but inside that print are tons or different colours you can play off of. For this, I focused on the teals and pinks. The rule or trick to florals actually only came to me after I found the pants that work with this blouse. I love florals, so I had a bunch of items I wanted to use, but had a hard time matching them, until these two beauties walked into my life. The trick to florals is simple: think of it like a bouquet. You can have a varying size of flower, or even varying colours in both pieces, but those colours need to work together. These ones pair well because the pants have an overall beige, pastel pink colouring, with hints of bright blues, greens, peaches and pinks. Althought the blouse's print is vastly different in size, it uses the exact same colours but in a different way.

Writing this post was quite an experience for me. I actually feel enlightened after having battled my biggest fears (making tons of mistakes along the way) and now I see patterns in a whole different way. Throughout making all the outfits, and seeing all the wonderful designer trends, I've realized one major thing about mixing patterns: you have to want to make it work. Sometimes, two pieces may appear to clash, but with the right accessories you look like a fabulous fashionista. I recommend giving it a shot, even if it's with basic patterns, like stripes and polka-dots, or zig-zags and tribal. Don't be afraid to make a statement, because that's what the heat-to-toe pattern is all about. Sometimes rule-breaking can look oh-so-good!

- Rebekah Eden
The Velvet Team



1 comment:

  1. YES for head to toe floral. I loves it so much!! I've been looking for a great floral and you guys gave me some super fantastic ideas. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete