Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Show & Tell: Aldo Statement Necklace

So for this week’s Show & Tell, I admit I didn’t have any clue what I was going to cover! There were a few things I’ve picked up recently, including some fun dresses, but I couldn’t think of why it made sense to blog about them other than the fact that…well, I like them!

Then it hit me. There was one basic, sometimes outrageous, thing that I think every person should own: a statement necklace! It just so happened that I had also just gotten one on sale at Aldo just weeks ago and it stands apart as more than a little different from the other necklaces I own.

I’m a huge fan of statement necklaces, maybe it's just because I like my jewelry big. I have big necklaces and big rings... The two staple pieces I most like to wear. But for some people, statement necklaces can be intimidating, since of course, some are crazier and bigger than others!

Here are a few examples I collected from around the world wide web!
#1: Forever21 / #2: ASOS / #3: ModCloth / #4: Urban Outfitters / #5: ALDO

Notice how broad the term ‘statement necklace’ can really be! It’s pretty much exactly what it says: any necklace that makes a statement! The bigger the better! They’re generally very bulky, but that doesn’t mean every one of them is over the top. Take the vintage inspired necklace (#5) from Aldo for example; it’s really just a pearl-like necklace except with a few extra rows. (It's also featured in this month's Trendy Thursday: Rockabilly edition!) The colours are soft pastels, and although it’s large, it’s still simple. This is in complete contrast to the one next to it (#6) from Urban Outfitters; that thing has just about every metallic hanging off of it! It’s definitely got a lot going on in just one necklace. But in the right outfit, it always works!

My advice when trying these big necklaces for the first time is ro wear it with something very simple; your favourite little black dress, a strapless romper, heck, even a white t-shirt and jeans, just to take something simple and put it on a whole ‘notha level!

Another piece of advice for those of you who don’t own a statement necklace is to make sure it reflects your own personal style! Get one in similar colours that you wear, or something like #2, just plain gold, because if you’re just going to own one, make sure you can wear it with a ton of different things. Necklaces like #3 or #4 are a bit harder to incorporate into just any outfit.

Now, I bet you’re wondering about that Aldo necklace I mentioned I got on sale, well, don’t worry! You get to see it!


The necklace is a huge piece of beaded, pastel-y wonder! I don’t have any necklaces like this, but the fact I got it pretty much free off of a 2-for-1 deal really was what sold me on it. Here I wore it with a basic collared shirt and some paisley hot-pants that I got from H&M! This outfit made me feel super 70’s boho and I was totally cool with that.

Do you own any statement necklaces? How do you find you generally wear them, or have you even tried it out yet? 

- Rebekah Eden
The Velvet Team

No comments:

Post a Comment